Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Your Brain on Autism

Anyone reading this has ideas, talents, is aware of the world around them, and understands what people are saying. Now imagine having all of that, but not being able to communicate the fact that you have it. That is what life is like inside an autistic, non-verbal mind. So much to say and express but no way to do so. My passion and goal in life is to change that. To change the face of all "disabilities", and to take the "dis" out to show just the abilities. A marvelous woman in Texas has already started to do just that. She teaches autistic individuals to communicate by pointing to letters on a letterboard. This has led to parents "hearing" their child's first words, sometimes after being told by doctors their child was mentally retarded and would never speak or communicate. If I had spent my life unable to communicate but being full of things I wanted to express, then someone gave me the ability to do so, I would say "I envy birds their wings". This is because I would want to summarize my endless need for complete and utter freedom. What would you say? Something to ponder on a sleepless night.

No comments:

Post a Comment